Ohakune, National Park New Zealand
Last Updated: 3 December 2018
Ohakune is a small Ski town in New Zealand which is located at the southern end of Mt Ruapehu and about 1 and a half hour drive from Taupo, and 40 minutes from Turangi, it is nestled near Tongariro River and is situated in a perfect location if you are an outdoors adrenalin junkie. the town is close to Ruapehu's Turoa and Whakapapa Ski fields and is a great tourist destination.
What to expect.
Ohakune is full of nice locals with a great community. You can expect to be treated nicely when passing through as this is a tourist town.
There are hundreds of good hikes around the Ohakune district wither you are wanting to hike mountains, lakes, forests, rivers or farms there are so much to see. Ohakune has an extensive amount of full day, half day and smaller hikes.
Check out the following:
- The Tongariro Alpine Crossing (full day)
- Ruapehu Crater Lake (full day)
- Waihohonu Track & Tama Lakes (full day)
- Hapuawhenua Viaduct Walk (up to 2 hours)
- Jubilee Walkway (up to 2 hours)
- Mangawhero River Walk (up to 2 hours)
- Rimu Walk (up to 2 hours)
- Mangawhero Falls Walk (up to 2 hours)
- Mangawhero Forest Walk (up to 2 hours)
- Waitonga Falls Track (up to 2 hours)
- Lake Rotokura Track (up to 2 hours)
- The Lakes Reserve (up to 2 hours)
- Ohakune Old Coach Road (half days)
- Lake Surprise Track (half days)
- Old Blyth Track (half days)
- Taranaki Falls Track (half days)
Mountain & Trail Biking, Cycling
A lot of the walking tracks around the Ohakune Taupo are also double as mountain biking tracks, so with the above tracks, check out articles if they are available.
- Mangawhero River Ride
- Ohakune Old Coach Road
- Rangataua Forest
- Rita Marie Road
- Ohakune Mountain Road
- Fishers Track
- Fishers Track - Extended
- Tongariro Forest Loop
- Bridge to Nowhere/Mangapura Track (full-day)
- The 42 Traverse (full-day)
- Mountains to Sea Cycleway - NGA ARA TUHONO RUAPEHU (full-day)
There are a lot of food joints around the city, check back soon for updates on food places available.
There are a lot of backpackers and motels located around the city. Some of the places we recommend for staying at are these:
- Ohakune Central Backpackers
- LKNZ Lodge & Backpackers
- Station Lodge (YHA Ohakune)
- The Hobbit Motor Lodge
- Ohakune Top 10 Holiday Park
- Ohakune Court Motel
- Alpine Motel Backpackers Lodge
- The Peaks Motor Inn
- Kings Ohakune
- Clyde Accommodation
- Powderhorn Chateau
Category : Towns & Cities
Find some great articles you may have missed, type in a location or place name and see what comes up!