Last Updated: 21 May 2019
If you are looking for a simple short walk with some occasional steep inclines, then look no further than the Waitomo village walkway, this walk begins in the Waitomo village and will pass you through bush, farmland and give you some great views of the village and surrounding areas, the walk crosses the Te Anga Road which is beyond the glowworm caves, it follows down the Waitomo stream and through the Ruakuri Reserve.
This walk features a variety of limestone, Dolines, Karren, Arche Tunnels and caves known as Karst. This walk is world famous for the amazing sights of the glowworm caves.
The Waitomo walkway finishes at the Ruakuri reserve, which is only 5 minutes from the Walkway carpark. You can get to this walk which starts in the Waitomo Village, 16km northwest of Te Kuiti.
- The walk isn't long, but you will need plenty of water and good shoes.
- Be careful of crossing into private land, which is surrounding the walks
- Be careful of any electric fences, and don't go where you are not meant to
- It pays to do this walk in nice weather, with rain can cause flooding.
- There is a store/ dairy where you can buy supplies such as water and snacks.
- Make sure you have significant fuel, there are no other petrol stations around the immediate area.
Going Hiking? Make sure you're prepared with some of our suggestions.
Category : Waitomo Hiking