Waitomo Ruakuri Bushwalk | Hike & picnicking area
The best way to see the beauty of the Waitomo area is through this spectacular 45 minute 1km loop return track, which loops through a forested gorge track, past timeless sculpted cliffs, and under limestone arches, this track will take you up, down and all around the windy streams of the Waitomo gorge, the Ruakuri natural bridge viewing platform, and grant you entrance to the dark cave tunnels, where you can see large speleothems and streams running.
At nighttime, you can expect to see some absolutely amazing Glowworms illuminate the banks of the Ruakuri walk. They can best be viewed from either side of the bridge.
This walk has a great picnicking area around the carpark of the Ruakuri caves, it is the perfect spot for families and tourists to stop and have lunch, there is also barbeques and toilets available, the Barbarques operate at $1 for 25-minute use.
Finding your way.
The start of the track is located roughly 4 km from Waitomo Village, you can head west from the Waitomo Village and turn left at the roundabout into Tumutumu road. then head towards your location where you should see a sign directing you access to Ruakuri Carpark. Another way you can get there if you'd like to extend your walk, start from the Waitomo walkway.
Things you should know
- A torch would be recommended for the caves and walkways, some places can get quite dark.
- Toilets are not always open at the entrance.
- There is a lot of history and culture here which would be aware of, the area has a lot of spiritual and cultural significance to Maori, so be respectful.
- There are a good number of native birds, so keep an eye out.
- bring food and water.
- a good pair of shoes would be recommended, the walk can be done in any though.
Category : Hiking & Biking
Find some great articles you may have missed, type in a location or place name and see what comes up!